Welcome to the St.Mary's H.S Religious Studies Department Home Page
- All pupils study R.E. from years 8-12 as it is one of the core subjects.
- We use the Veritas Fully Alive programme in KS3 as recommended for all Catholic post primary schools
- At GCSE Level we study the CCEA syllabus units 5 and 8 Modules are taken at the end of years 11 and year 12.
- At A Level we study from the CCEA syllabus units 1 and 6 – Luke’s Gospel and Ethics (2 teachers).
- We have a school oratory and we celebrate all the liturgical seasons and church feasts. We encourage our pupils to develop their prayer life through daily assemblies and one morning every week pupils lead the assembly (prepared by the R.E. teacher). We are supported in this task by our school chaplain Fr. Tony Corr.
- We also encourage our pupils to reach out to others and the R.E. department always supports school fundraising ventures.
- In year 8 term 2 we are involved in a Connected Learning Project with Science, Geography, English and Art where the focus is on Nigeria and our partner school St. Mary’s in Papiri. Fundraising is ongoing to continue developing the secondary school.
- In Year 9, Term 2 we are involvedin a Connected Learning Project on Fair Trade.
R.E Department Staff
Mrs. T. Kearney (Head Of Department)
Mrs. J. Hughes
Miss J. Morgan
Miss K. Hanratty
Mrs. E. Magee
Mr. E. Magee
Our school chaplain is Fr. Tony Corr.
Fr. Corr is very much involved in the daily life of the school. He is in school several times a week and he is very well known to staff and pupils. He supports the pastoral ethos of the school and works closely with the R.E. department to make sure that all pupils are fully involved in the R.E. programme as well as in parish life and the liturgical life of the Church. His work involves
We are very grateful for the time and commitment Fr. Corr gives to St. Mary’s and his contribution to school life greatly enriches our pastoral and religious programmes
- Class visits
- Supporting pupils and staff suffering from illness or bereavement
- Participating fully in the social events on the school calendar
- Supporting Open Night and Prize-giving Night
- Celebrating school masses
- Celebrating class masses
- Conducting penitential services
- Mass in the oratory during Advent and Lent
- Assisting with the Pope John Paul Award activities
- Concelebrating the Bishop’s School Leavers’ Mass
- Leading the Year 8 Welcome Service
- Celebrating the Year 14 Leavers’ Mass
- Leading assembly on particular occasions